Home
Options

Delay on start and frequent exception

I've been having trouble with LinqPad on one specific system. The symptoms are that the application typically has a very long delay up to two mins before starting up. Additionally, very frequently executing a query causes an exception of "Server process did not start" (see image below).

I suspect this is an issue with the machine but as LinqPad most reliably produces the problem for me I thought I would start troubleshooting here.

While LinqPad is hanging upon start (the process is running, but no GUI has been displayed) the resource manager Analyze Wait Chain shows that LinqPad is waiting for lsass.exe and lsass is waiting for Network I/O (see images below).

I am typically connected to VPN (Palo Alto Networks Global Protect) to my company's network when using LinqPad. During the hang, if I disconnect the VPN, LinqPad immediately starts. Thus I suspect there may be some networking issues at play; particularly related to my company's domain or authentication of some sort. I have also experienced issues with my Intel SSD causing freeze ups and hangs and have played with various techniques to resolve that although I do not suspect that here.

I would appreciate any help in troubleshooting this issue and am particularly curious if there is network activity expected by LinqPad while starting up or running queries. Enclosed is also a ProcMon capture of the startup of LinqPad. In this case, you can see that everything seems pretty normal for the first ~2 secs, then there is a long delay for ~40secs

LinqPad Hang Process Monitor .PML capture.

Thanks,

-- Terrence

System:
Windows 7 Enterprise (SP1)
Intel 730 SSD 240GB
32GB RAM
LinqPad 5.05.02 and 5.06.02

Comments

• Options
    When this happens, are you able to attach a debugger to LINQPad and break to get a stack trace on the threads?

If LINQPad blocks on network I/O upon startup, I would consider this a bug. It should only block on HDD I/O.

The "Server process did not start" occurs when the computer is starved of resources, or if a cross-process wait handle fails to respond. It can also happen as a result of spinning hard drives taking longer than 5 seconds to spin up after going to sleep, or other HDD problems.
  • Options
    Hey Joe...

I was able to get a stack trace. First I paused the execution and captured one trace, only the main thread was running.

Upon resuming, I received three WebExceptions, I captured a trace for the first. Finally I saw a EntryPointNotFoundException, I captured a trace there too.

Here are the details:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dnKVGtZji5YpZJIIcESGwi6c5nxZhUfRcnW_2Kj4__M/edit?usp=sharing
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    It's hanging when LINQPad is validating file modification permissions on the %programdata%\LINQPad folder. I'm guessing this results in Windows querying the domain server, which causes network I/O. In the next build I will make this check asynchronous, as LINQPad 5 doesn't use the common app data folder except for updates. Your machine will still have problems, though.
  • Options
    Interesting... I suspect that I have a poorly configured VPN connection.

Thanks.