Home
Options

Please Share Your Thoughts on Util.Clipboard

I was writing some plain text out from a query this morning - only to then open that file and copy the text out and paste it to another application. This started me thinking that I would like to be able to skip the step of saving it to a file and just send it directly to the clipboard.

What do people think about extending the global Util object with clipboard access? It certainly isn't a big deal to bring the Forms or WPF libraries into your query to get access to their Clipboard classes, but I do think it would be nice to have LINQPad provide a wrapper around those classes to simplify things. This would be more about setting the clipboard data, though I suppose while there are fewer cases, there are still use cases for reading it too.

Any thoughts on what it should look like? Here are some ideas I had:
  • Util.SetClipboard(string text)
  • Util.Clipboard.SetData(string format, object data)
Should there be helper methods like Util.Clipboard.Clear() and Util.Clipboard.Flush()?

Clipboard reference: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.clipboard.aspx

I thought I would put together some ideas in an extension and share the source. Is there interest?