Home

Accessing the actual data contexts...

I know there's a tricky way to do a LINQ query across two databases on the same table, so this is not that same question. Let's get that right out of the way first.

What I want to do is programmatically create two data contexts, to have their queries run individually to LIST, and then join them (the LIST) together. I have had no problem doing this in C#, and I always end up writing these little one-off console apps to perform this, when I'd just much rather script it out in LINQPad.

So I know the a query in LINQPad has it's own data context. Fine, but how do I go about actually create a new context programmatically and using it within the query?

Something like this (I know this is not the most efficient code, it was thrown together as an example):

List<GarnishmentData> gd; List<Document> doc; // use the WellandData context first using (var welland = new WellandExport()) { gd = (from g in welland.EMPLOYEE_GARNISHMENTS join epd in welland.EMPLOYEE_PERSONAL_DETAILS on g.EE_ID equals epd.EE_ID join ecd in welland.EMPLOYEE_CLIENT_DETAILS on epd.EE_ID equals ecd.EE_ID join pay in welland.EMPLOYEE_PAY_DETAILS on ecd.u2_id equals pay.u2_id where ecd.Client_ID == 10659 && ecd.EE_Status_Code == "A" // don't really need to use the GarnishmentData class, but it's convienent select new GarnishmentData() { ID = g.EE_ID, SSN = pay.EE_SSN.Replace("-", "") }).ToList(); // calling the two list will actually execute the query and populate the list. Without it, the data isn't retrieved until // the collection is accessed. We cannot join a memory object to a DB object, so we call ToList() to resolve the query and // have the data in memory for joining later on... } // then get the document data from a different data context // different database server altogether using (var garnish = new Garnishments()) { doc = garnish.Documents.ToList(); // again calling the ToList so the query finalizes and the data is in memory } // now we can join the two in memory objects to find specific filenames now // BTW, this is a LEFT JOIN var gQuery = (from g in gd join d in doc on g.SSN equals d.SSN into gs from d in gs.DefaultIfEmpty() select new GarnishmentData() { ID = g.ID, SSN = g.SSN, Filename = d == null ? "(no file found)" : d.GarnishmentFileName }).ToList(); foreach (var thisRec in gQuery) { Console.WriteLine($"{thisRec.ID} - {thisRec.SSN} - {thisRec.Filename}"); } Console.ReadKey();

Comments