Home

LinqPad 4.55.03 crashing while in the background.

This has happened a couple of times and it has always been while LinqPad is running in the background, rather than when it was being used.

An unhandled exception of type 'System.AccessViolationException' occurred in System.Windows.Forms.dll

Additional information: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(System.IntPtr dwComponentID, int reason, int pvLoopData) Unknown
System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(int reason, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) Unknown
System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(int reason, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) Unknown
System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(System.Windows.Forms.Form mainForm) Unknown
LINQPad.exe!LINQPad.Program.Run(string queryToLoad, bool runQuery, string activationCode, bool activateAll, bool deactivate, bool noForward, bool noUpdate, string caller) Unknown
LINQPad.exe!LINQPad.Program.Go(string[] args) Unknown
LINQPad.exe!LINQPad.Program.Start(string[] args) Unknown
LINQPad.exe!LINQPad.ProgramStarter.Run(string[] args) Unknown
LINQPad.exe!LINQPad.Loader.Main(string[] args) Unknown

There is nothing in the log.txt

Not sure this is much to go on, but I thought I would report this anyway.

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Hey, I'm experiencing a similar crash after some time when LINQPad is in the background. All I can see in the event log is a System.AccessViolationException and this:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> - <System> <Provider Name="Application Error" /> <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID> <Level>2</Level> <Task>100</Task> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-10-26T11:53:04.401599700Z" /> <EventRecordID>26441</EventRecordID> <Channel>Application</Channel> <Computer>removedComputer> <Security /> </System> - <EventData> <Data>LINQPad.exe</Data> <Data>5.10.0.0</Data> <Data>57fc4504</Data> <Data>unknown</Data> <Data>0.0.0.0</Data> <Data>00000000</Data> <Data>c0000005</Data> <Data>01d8d818</Data> <Data>9d8</Data> <Data>01d22ea94b9f63c9</Data> <Data>C:\ProgramData\LINQPad\Updates50\510\LINQPad.exe</Data> <Data>unknown</Data> <Data>ceead40b-c5a7-496d-a589-f1a49e391bb8</Data> <Data /> <Data /> </EventData> </Event>

Any idea what could cause this? I'm running LINQPad version 5.10.00.
  • This is also happening for me. I have a full dump file if that would be helpful to anyone. This happens to be many times per day and is quite frustrating. Looks like an issue with a pointer when calling unmanaged code.

This issue only happens on one of my two machines, and I am running the same version of LINQPad, which indicates it is environmental.

Exception Details:
    Unhandled exception at 0x00007FF932FBE696 in LINQPad.exe.14212.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000008.

Call Stack:
    > System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(System.IntPtr dwComponentID, int reason, int pvLoopData) Unknown System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(int reason, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) Unknown System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(int reason, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) Unknown System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(System.Windows.Forms.IWin32Window owner) Unknown LINQPad.exe!LINQPad.Program.CurrentDomain_UnhandledException(object sender, System.UnhandledExceptionEventArgs e) Unknown [Native to Managed Transition] [Managed to Native Transition] [Native to Managed Transition] [Managed to Native Transition] System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(System.IntPtr dwComponentID, int reason, int pvLoopData) Unknown System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(int reason, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) Unknown System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(int reason, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) Unknown LINQPad.exe!LINQPad.Program.Run(string queryToLoad, bool runQuery, string activationCode, bool activateAll, bool deactivate, bool noForward, bool noUpdate, string caller) Unknown LINQPad.exe!LINQPad.Program.Go(string[] args) Unknown LINQPad.exe!LINQPad.Program.Start(string[] args) Unknown LINQPad.exe!LINQPad.ProgramStarter.Run(string[] args) Unknown LINQPad.exe!LINQPad.Loader.Main(string[] args) Unknown [Native to Managed Transition]

The parameters to the method having the issue are:
    dwComponentID: Cannot obtain value of the local variable or argument because it is not available at this instruction pointer, possibly because it has been optimized away. reason: 4 pvLoopData: 0

So it looks like the bad pointer is the dbComponentID.

Here is a stackoverflow Q/A with the same issue with several possible solutions to the problem:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3832156/windows-form-application-freeze-randomly-when-run-overnight

Let me know if there are any additional details that could be helpful in fixing this issue ASAP.

Thanks!

Christopher Haws