Util.Run fails with 5.06 beta

already submitted via the 'help -> report bug' mechanism, but figured it was worth a forum post so anyone else hitting it will at least see it's a known issue, hopefully cutting down on duplicates. :)

contents of submission:

Cannot Util.Run with 5.06 beta 64-bit (didn't test 32-bit)

- create Dummy.linq (just needs to exist, can be empty)
- in new query window, try to run:
Util.Run(@Dummy.linq, QueryResultFormat.Text)

worked fine in LINQPad 4

in 5.06 throws FileNotFoundException

Could not load file or assembly 'Resources, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=21353812cd2a2db5' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

StackTrace:

StackTrace
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncVoidMethodBuilder.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
at UserQuery
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

FusionLog property of Exception:

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = Resources, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=21353812cd2a2db5
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Users/james/Downloads/LINQPad5-AnyCPU/
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
Calling assembly : LINQPad, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=21353812cd2a2db5.
===
LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\LINQPad\ProcessServer5AnyCPU\LINQPad.UserQuery.exe.Config
LOG: Using host configuration file:
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: Resources, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=21353812cd2a2db5
LOG: The same bind was seen before, and was failed with hr = 0x80070002.

Comments

• Thanks for reporting - this is now fixed in 5.0.7
  • This is failing with a different error now (5.07 AnyCPU). I have autocompletion activated in case that makes a difference.

System.IO.FileNotFoundException

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.CodeAnalysis, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

It popped up the 'LINQPad - Error' dialog each of the 2 times I tried it, once with an empty Dummy.linq, the second time with a valid C# program in it.

Here's the contents of the second error submission in case it helps:
    tried the same repro as in http://forum.linqpad.net/discussion/839/util-run-fails-with-5-06-beta again

This time the caller expression was still the same:

Util.Run(@Dummy.linq, QueryResultFormat.Text)

I changed Dummy to be a valid C# program to help make sure it being invalid wasn't the cause:

int Main()
    {
    return 42;
    }
  • My bad - I updated the Roslyn libraries but not the version info for fusion.

Try again with 5.0.8
  • Works great in 5.0.8! Thanks, Joe!!
  • I am having this same issue now with 5.10.00, but it complains about FSharp.Compiler.Service and only occurs on F# queries. I have verified that the problem presents with both F# programs and expressions.

One thing of note is that FusionLog says it's looking in "C:\Program Files (x86)", which may be the default but is not where my installation lives and is not in my configuration.

To replicate:
    [1] create and save a new F# expression query named 'the-problem.fs.linq' with the code `"If this shows up then there is no problem" |> Dump`.
    [2] create a new query and run `Util.Run("the-problem.fs.linq", QueryResultFormat.Text).Dump();`
    [3] You should receive an FileNotFound error message with no corresponding stack trace.

Thanks for the help
  • Thanks for the info - I've found the bug and will fix for the next build.