Home
Options

Feature Request - Snippet to create anonymous object with corresponding properties of another object

edited July 2015
Often I find myself writing queries of tables that have many columns but would want to remove a few columns from the results. So I would build up an anonymous object with all the properties I would want to include. This can be tedious, especially when dealing with many columns to keep. It would be nice to have a snippet that could automatically generate an anonymous object expression with all the corresponding properties of another object, preferably in definition order. Then I could just remove the columns I don't want. A workaround to this would be to start a query on a table (right clicking on it) and choose the from/where/select new { <all columns> } option and copy that but it gets old real fast. The ` shortcut helps but it's still a very manual process and you lose the definition order.
// LINQPad should be able to generate this for me new { obj.Property1, obj.Property2, obj.Property3, obj.Property4, obj.Property5, obj.Property6, obj.Property7, ... obj.PropertyN, }
Perhaps in auto complete, when typing in 'obj.', there would be snippet called 'newanon' or something that would generate the expression.

Comments

• Options
    Meanwhile, I have these in My Extensions:

// Properties so you can "extend" anonymous selects
    public static string AllProperties(this T obj, string VarName)
    {
    var ps = typeof(T).GetProperties();
    return ps.Any() ? (VarName + "." + string.Join(", " + VarName + ".", from p in ps select p.Name)) : "";
    }

// Fields so you can "extend" anonymous selects
    public static string AllFields(this T obj, string VarName)
    {
    var fs = typeof(T).GetFields();
    return fs.Any() ? (VarName + "." + string.Join(", " + VarName + ".", from f in fs select f.Name)) : "";
    }

// Properties so you can "extend" anonymous types
    public static string AllPropertiesVb(this T obj, string VarName)
    {
    return string.Join(", ", from p in ps select "." + p.Name + " = " + VarName + "." + p.Name);
    }

// Fields so you can "extend" anonymous types
    public static string AllFieldsVb(this T obj, string VarName)
    {
    return string.Join(", ", from f in fs select "." + f.Name + " = " + VarName + "." + f.Name);
    }

// Properties so you can "extend" anonymous types
    public static string AllPropertiesCs(this T obj, string VarName)
    {
    return string.Join(", ", from p in ps select p.Name + " = " + VarName + "." + p.Name);
    }

// Fields so you can "extend" anonymous types
    public static string AllFieldsCs(this T obj, string VarName)
    {
    return string.Join(", ", from f in fs select f.Name + " = " + VarName + "." + f.Name);
    }