Home
Options

LIINQPad 5 Database Connections

All of my database connections are broken after upgrading to LIINQPad 5. However, prior to updating to LIINQPad I had upgraded to Windows 10.

Is there something special I should do after upgrading to Windows 10 or LIINQPad 5? Or, is there a document or webpage I can read that describes how to properly create new connections?

Thanks! I am rather at a loss.

John Miller

Comments

• Options
    Define "broken"..

Are all your connections lost? Are the passwords incorrect? Do you get an error in populating the data source?

For further analysis.. what kind of connection is used? What happens when you add a new data source using the "Add connection" dialog?

Please explain what you are doing, what behavior you are experiencing, preferably with error message or screenshot, and what you expected to see.
  • Options
    Nescafe,

The difficulty is I am very new to LINQ. I did have LINQPad 4 and was able to connect to Northwind database. Now everything is not working in LINQPad 5.

I tried to click on "Add Connection" and create a new connection like this:

I click on
    "Add connection"
    and select the radio button "Build data context automatically"
    and select "Default (LINQ to SQL)"
    and then click the "Next >" button
    and leave the provider as "SQL Server"
    and the server as ".\SQLEXPRESS"
    and leave the radio button set on "Windows Authentication"
    under Database I clicked on the radio button "Attach database file with check box User Instance checked
    Then I Browsed to Northwind database using this path:
    "C:\Users\John Miller\AppData\Roaming\LINQPad\Samples\LINQ in Action\NORTHWND.mdf"

Then I click "Test" button and the error I get is:

"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Veryify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 40- Cound not open a connection to SQL Server).
  • Options
    So you either don't have SQL Server Express edition installed, it's not running or it's misconfigured somehow.

By Googling the error you should find some debugging steps to determine the cause (e.g. does the service exist and is it running?).

Also, LINQPad is using shared memory provider and I'm not sure if this provider is architecture specific (x86/x64).

Could you try to reproduce the behavior with each of the four editions:
    - LINQPad 4 xcopy-deploy build
    - LINQPad 4 AnyCPU build
    - LINQPad 5 xcopy-deploy build
    - LINQPad 5 AnyCPU build

And let us know which one of them works with your database server?
  • Options
    I am sorry. I don't understand. What do these things mean?
    - LINQPad 4 xcopy-deploy build
    - LINQPad 4 AnyCPU build
    - LINQPad 5 xcopy-deploy build
    - LINQPad 5 AnyCPU build

I can figure out that 2 are for LINQPad 4 and 2 are for LINQPad 5. But where does the xcopy-deploy and AnyCPU come into it?

John
  • Options
    @Nitancy, these are different builds of LINQPad available under More Download Options here: http://www.linqpad.net/Download.aspx
  • Options
    @kingkeith I don't understand why you say that. I already have 2 different versions of LINQPad (both 4 & 5). Why would I want another build? They seem fine. The issue is I cannot make a connection and I don't know why. Please explain. :-)
  • Options
    @Nitancy, you were asking about what Nescafe meant, so I explained that Nescafe was suggesting that you try the other editions of LINQPad, available on the download page, to see if any of them work for you with your connection :)
  • Options
    @kingkeith ,

As I already have both LP 4 and 5. This does not seem to be something I can avail myself of. But thank you very much for explaining what @nescafe was trying to say.
  • Options
    Well, I just ran CHKDSK on the computer and now when I go into LINQPad 5 everything shows up!

I have no idea why the computer self-healed. But I want to thank everyone who attempted to help me with this.

John Miller