Home
Options

RFE: right-click editor tab menu option 'open in new instance'

A fairly common need for me is trying to view 2 LINQPad scripts side-by-side to compare them, bring bits of one over to the other, etc.

My current workflow to do this is to right-click on one of the scripts in the existing LINQPad instance, copy full path, open a new LINQPad instance, open, paste path, enter.

Now, I realize that trying to support horizontal/vertical/whatever splits within the existing LINQPad UI would likely be a huge amount of work, but I'm hoping LINQPad could add the 'open in new instance' type of feature that Notepad++ has.

This would likely just run the current .exe and pass the full path to the current script as the parameter (so no need to add any kind of automation interface just for this), but would be a nice addition to simplify this particular workflow.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    This is a a good idea, I like it. Given that LINQPad won't synchronize the same document between two instances, though, "Move to New Instance" would be a better fit. Would this do what you want?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yes, Move to New Instance is what I should have asked for instead. The 'Open in New Instance' request was more just me thinking that it might be a simpler implementation if it only had to run a process of , but if you can have it move the current document to a new instance, that's even better!

Thanks, Joe!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Good call - I've added this feature to the upcoming LINQPad 5.
  • Options
    This is a very neat feature.

Perhaps (somewhere in a future release) you could add a browser like drag-n-drop behavior, like in IE/Chrome/FF:
    - drag the query tab out of the window to move the query to a new instance
    - drag the query tab into another window to move the query to that instance (and close the current instance if this was the last query in the current window)