Home
Options

Dark theme

Ok... this one more suggestion and i'll shut off for today ;-)

Possibility of configuring colors and other display related settings for the diverse panes of linqpad would be welcome...

Saving this settings for share would also be a great feature...

At least a "dark theme" should be included...
Ones like sublimeText dark themes woulb be of great value...

;-)

ZEE

Comments

• Options
    You can change the editor background in Edit | Preferences. If you choose a dark color, it will recolor all the text styles accordingly.
  • Options
    Thanks Joe... gonna try it right now..
  • Options
    Joe... works like a charm...
    Thanx!!!
  • Options
    IMHO, the rest of the chrome should change too. Think Dark Theme for VS 2012.
  • Options
    The rest of the chrome follows the Windows Control Panel theme settings. So, if you set a dark theme in Windows, LINQPad will follow suit.

Is there any reason you wouldn't want this to be the case? I can see why the code editor is special and how you might want to give it special fonts and colors. But for the other UI widgets, why would you want it to be different from the rest of the shell? IOW, if you like menus, treeviews and dialog boxes to be dark-themed in LINQPad, wouldn't you also want them dark-themed in all your other Windows applications?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I agree - it would be nice if it was all dark.

I've never been able to find an alternate Windows theme that I've been able to get on with to do it system-wide. (But all I really care about is code stuff because that's what I stare at all day long).

One small problem I've noticed with the dark theme (other than the fact that it's not easily discoverable - I was amazed when it worked) is that the snippet replacement colour becomes unreadable.

One other thing - the facility to change user CSS is great. I wonder if you should ship with a light/dark version to make it easier to switch? I created my own basic one and it's not perfect but it's quite a trial and error extensive thing before you find all the colours you need to change.
  • Options
    I have tried just about every dark theme available for Windows itself, and you always end up with a number of apps that do not properly apply the theme.
    Most applications work fine with dark Windows themes, but a lot of them actually only apply the Windows theme to SOME elements. You will end up with dark text on a dark background somewhere in a lot of applications. It is frustrating enough that I have always ended up going back to the more standard Windows colors even though I much prefer the dark themes.

Give it a try -- as an example Windows 8 (7, etc.) provides 'High Contrast #1', 'High Contrast #2', and 'High Contrast Black' themes. Definitely these are not the best dark themes in the world, but you would certainly think most applications would support them since they come standard with Windows. But... I'm sure you won't have to try out too many of your existing applications before you find some elements with unreadable text.

ANYWAY... that is why it would be great for LinqPad to allow for dark themes despite what Windows itself has for a theme. I appreciate that the editor has the option but would like to see that extended to the rest of the application.

LinqPad is great as it is, and is a tool I use daily and will continue to use. I only commented in this thread because the question was brought up about why somebody wanting a dark theme in all Windows apps doesn't just change to a dark Windows theme. Tried it! Doesn't work in too many apps!

Thanks!
    Mark.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Just to punt in and echo everything Mark mentions above.

Absolutely love LinqPad, and the ability to apply themes based on VS themes, or make my own themes that affected all the application areas/panels would be the icing on the cake.

Is there currently a way (under the hood) to poke any of these colours?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I would even be willing to spend money to upgrade to the Pro Edition if a Visual Studio 2013 quality Dark Theme was available. I love C# In a Nutshell and LINQPad!
  • Options
    You can edit the HTML output to your taste (which is pretty cool).

Take a look here http://forum.linqpad.net/discussion/1022/dark-theme-for-linqpad