Home

Compiler executable file csc.exe cannot be found

I am trying to use the Visual FoxPro LPX with the OleDb driver. It tests out OK, but when I try to expand the connection and it starts to build the necessary tables and such, it generates the error. I can see from monitoring LINQPad with procmon from Sysinternals that it enumerates all the FoxPro tables. It looks like it is bombing out after querying the HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\MSBuild\ToolsVersions\3.5 registry key - which does not exist on this Win10 box. Instead of 3.5 I have a 4.0 and 14.0 keys. I am running LINQPad v5.10. I can also see that LINQPad is generating a couple of temp .cs and .cmdline files... but it deletes them before I have a chance to inspect their contents.

Other connections do still work just fine. Do I just need to install .NET 3.5 on this computer to make this connection work?

Here is the relevant bits from the logs:
5.10.00 2016-11-18T11:30:13.0792812-07:00 Error opening DataContext -
DisplayToUserException: InvalidOperationException - Compiler executable file csc.exe cannot be found.

Server stack trace:
at LINQPad.SchemaBuilder.GetSchemaAndBuildAssembly(String repositoryData, AssemblyName assemblyToBuild, String& nameSpace, String& typeName, Boolean allowOneToOne, IDictionary`2& sessionData)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at LINQPad.SchemaBuilder.GetSchemaAndBuildAssembly(String repositoryData, AssemblyName assemblyToBuild, String& nameSpace, String& typeName, Boolean allowOneToOne, IDictionary`2& sessionData)
at LINQPad.DataContextManager.<>c__DisplayClass30_1.b__0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable.ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult()
at LINQPad.DataContextManager.d__30.MoveNext()
First chance data: LINQPad.SchemaBuilder.GetSchemaAndBuildAssembly(repositoryData,assemblyToBuild,nameSpace,typeName,allowOneToOne,sessionData) offset=0xFFFFFFFF
-LINQPad.DataContextManager+<>c__DisplayClass30_1.b__0() offset=0x2B

LINQPad.DataContextManager+d__30.MoveNext() offset=0x3D8
-LINQPad.TaskExtensions+<>c__DisplayClass24_0`1.b__1(ant) offset=0x40

Comments