Home

Unable to open configSource file 'user.config'.

I recently installed v5.22.02. I also have v4.57.02. When I executed a query in v5.22.02, I got the following exception.

The type initializer for 'System.Data.Entity.Internal.AppConfig' threw an exception.
Message The type initializer for 'System.Data.Entity.Internal.AppConfig' threw an exception.
Data
InnerException Unable to open configSource file 'user.config'. (C:\Users\stuart.dickerson\AppData\Local\Temp\LINQPad5\_zljzuxaw\query_wyavit.dll.custom.config line 3...
Message Unable to open configSource file 'user.config'. (C:\Users\stuart.dickerson\AppData\Local\Temp\LINQPad5\_zljzuxaw\query_wyavit.dll.custom.config line 35)
BareMessage Unable to open configSource file 'user.config'.
Filename C:\Users\stuart.dickerson\AppData\Local\Temp\LINQPad5\_zljzuxaw\query_wyavit.dll.custom.config

Our app.config has a reference to another config file named user.config. v5.22.02 appears to be making a copy of the bin folder of a DLL that I am referencing but it isn't pulling over the user.config file. If I manually copy it to the temp folder, the query runs. This was not a problem in v4.

Comments

• Can you post your config file?
  • I'm having the same issue.

My config file has to load connections strings from another file.

My project is configured to not copy those files to the output directory, as there are transformation files that update the connectionStrings settings when we do a deploy.

When I setup the connection and hit the Test Connection button, everything works fine, but fails when executing a query. If I copy my devConfig folder out to the correct AppData\Local\Temp\LINQPad5 folder, it works fine.

This only started when I started using LINQPad 5.
  • I also have this issue. Within my web.config, I use this <connectionStrings configSource="Web.ConnectionStringsDev.config" />