Home

Error Entity Framework Core - Connection ok - Instance failure on query

I am using linqpad 6 with an Entity Framework Core connection which tests fine, however if I try to query data from a table I get an instance failure

Comments

• Can you please check with the latest build - there's been some changes in the way assemblies are resolved, so there's a chance this might fix it.
  • Same problem using 6.0.13 and .NetCore3preview7.
  • I'm guessing then it's to do with the connection string. Try running this query:

this.Database.GetDbConnection().ConnectionString

If it doesn't output what you expect, go back to the connection properties. Which option did you choose in how LINQPad should instantiate your context?
  • The connection is what I would expect.

Via a constructor that accepts a DbConnectionOptions.

There are a couple of different overloads for it but I created one specifically for linqpad.

In the connection window it shows the connection and I can browse the tables and fields, but if you try any query e.g. just drag a table to the query window and execute, this produces an Instance failure.

The differences are from table splitting.

• Can you expand the InvalidOperationException object? There will be useful information in there, including a stack trace and maybe an inner exception.

And have you tried testing the constructor overload you created for LINQPad from Visual Studio?
  • Linqpad should use the basic constructor which just allows for the connection string, there are 2 more which are dynamic and populate the connections at runtime.

• I went back and hard coded a connection string for a different context based on if in Linqpad and that worked, I then tried passing in a string, then a constructor that accepts and these worked.

I went back to the original context and just redid it this now works too.

It doesn't make sense but now works so will just accept it and move on.