In the code I was trying to do get the value but no value was returned:

var loadDate = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["LoadDate"];

What did I do wrong?

Comments

• The html is not showing up there:
    <appSettings>
    	  <add key="LoadDate" value="5/27/2013"/>
      </appSettings>
  • I tried your exact sample and ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["LoadDate"] returned 5/27/2013.

I take it you've put the settings into linqpad.config (and not linqpad.app.config?)

What does the following query return?

AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetupInformation.ConfigurationFile
  • it returns
    C:\Users\changc\Desktop\LINQPad.config
  • I know what's wrong. When I double click on the .linq file, it's not working. But if I open LINQPad first then drag the .linq file into LINQPad, it will work.
  • Perhaps you have .linq files associated in Windows with a copy of LINQPad.exe that resides in a different folder.
  • Yes that's right I have a different version on my desktop where I used to run my .linq files. When I removed that old LINQPad.exe and tried to associate the .linq again with the exe that resides in the same folder in my desktop, I found I can't associate it. Is it because LINQPad.exe is a portable program? Is there a better way to associate my .linq files with LINQPad.exe where it's not directly on my desktop? Since now I have more files need to be put in the same folder.( all the config files, lprun.exe)
  • I found I can do it. I just pin where my LINQPad.exe to the taskbar. Then I can associate .linq file from properties' association.

Thanks!
  • @JoeAlbahari I have a similar problem but the `AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetupInformation.ConfigurationFile` returns C:\Users\myUser\AppData\Local\Temp\LINQPad5\_orthtqce\nzlyzh\LINQPadQuery.dll.custom.config
    My LinqPad is installed in C:\Program Files\LINQPad5

I wonder why the config would to somewhere else other than C:\Program Files\LINQPad5\LINQPad.config?

Thanks.
  • That's a merged config file. LINQPad needed to apply binding redirects to your query, so it read the normal config file, added the binding redirects, and wrote the merged file to a temp location.

Try creating a new query with no references and default properties. Then AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetupInformation.ConfigurationFile should return C:\Program Files\LINQPad5\LINQPad.config
  • I tried "... creating a new query with no references and default properties.", and my AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetupInformation.ConfigurationFile.Dump();
    returns
    C:\Users\dennis\AppData\Local\LINQPad\empty.config

I also then added a reference to System.Configuration, and I get the same result.

As per the FAQ, I'm trying to "create a file called linqpad.config in the same folder as LINQPad.exe. Anything you put here applies to all queries (unless you override it in the dialog above). " to have a merged set of settings, but I can't get it to work.

I set up a new LinqPad exe folder - i.e XCOPY deployed. Running from there, ConfigurationFile.Dump() shows

C:\Users\dennis\AppData\Local\Temp\LINQPad5\_yhiiwvkz\tzuqwq\LINQPadQuery.dll.custom.config

I still don't get a merged AppSettings.

What should the root node of Linqpad.config be? I've tried just

and also

• Maybe I'm a bit confused by the FAQ's "unless you override it" and Joe's comment above "That's a merged config file...". Do the settings get "merged" from both sources?
  • Do you have a file called "LINQPad.config" in the folder where LINQPad.exe resides? If so, then AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetupInformation.ConfigurationFile will return that file. Otherwise, it will return the empty.config file.

You can also specify a config per query by going to query properties F4 and going to the app.config tab.

The "LINQPadQuery.dll.custom.config" is indeed a merged config. It should contain everything that's in the LINQPad.config file (or whatever you've specified in query properties) plus binding redirects necessary for you query to function.

• RE: "Do you have a file called "LINQPad.config" in the folder where LINQPad.exe resides? "
    Yes.
    If the F4 App.config tab is set to "Global default ...", then yes, AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetupInformation.ConfigurationFile does return that. (If set to "Custom path" then it returns that path)
    But if the tab is set to "Let me type it in", then a temporary path is returned - e.g
    C:\Users\dennis\AppData\Local\Temp\LINQPad5\_nrixxzun\rguhkq\LINQPadQuery.dll.custom.config

When I was asking about "merged", it's whether or not multiple appSetting sections (from multiple config files) are merged.

• The only time merging that occurs is when LINQPad has to add binding redirects to your query.