Home
Options

260ms for Antivirus Performance Test with Norton Antivirus disabled. Why not faster?

The results below are my typical results from the Antivirus Performance Test in Linqpad 8.
I added exclusions in Norton Antivirus for the Linqpad folder and even temporarily disabled Norton's Auto Protect.
What could be some reasons for not getting less than 30ms or less as suggested by the test?
My computer is a powerful one. 64GB RAM, Ryzen 9 7950X3D and WD Black NVMe SSDs. CPU is less than 10% in task manager.
I ran the test several times.

Test 1 - 269.683 milliseconds
Test 2 - 260.662 milliseconds
Test 3 - 266.975 milliseconds
Test 4 - 259.163 milliseconds
Test 5 - 258.046 milliseconds
Test 6 - 258.827 milliseconds
Test 7 - 258.124 milliseconds
Test 8 - 262.643 milliseconds
Test 9 - 256.537 milliseconds
Test 10 - 269.559 milliseconds

Comments

• Options

It's hard to make a diagnosis just from this information. If I was to hazard a guess, given the consistent high readings and your hardware specifications, I would say your anti-virus software is still active. 260ms might be the ping time to Norton's online server.

• Options

What time do you get if you enable your anti-virus?

Is it possible you have another anti-virus/monitoring program doing real-time scanning? I presume Norton would disable Windows Defender on installing, but things don't always work out the way they should. So it is possible that Windows defender is setup with 'automatic sample submission' enabled.

You could download ProcessMonitor from Microsoft/SysInternals which will show you all the file activity going on and hence will show if some program is scanning the dlls. You will need to add some filters (like Path contains LINQPad8 and Path does not include Sessions) otherwise you will be overloaded with information. (Note, you should expect your script to run slower when ProcessMonitor is active).

Don't know if Norton has the option, but if it has, you would be better to exclude the Linqpad process rather than by selecting folders. In this particular case I think the files are created in a randomly created subfolder of %localappdata%\temp\LINQPad8\

Just as a comparison, your computer is a lot newer and more powerful than mine and my average is less than 1 ms

• Options

@JoeAlbahari said:
    It's hard to make a diagnosis just from this information. If I was to hazard a guess, given the consistent high readings and your hardware specifications, I would say your anti-virus software is still active. 260ms might be the ping time to Norton's online server.

It was Norton. I disabled the Norton service from running completely and the readings were less than a millisecond! So excluding the Linqpad folder from AV and disabling AutoProtect in Norton had no effect. Weird.
    Thanks.

• Options

@sgmoore said:
    What time do you get if you enable your anti-virus?

Is it possible you have another anti-virus/monitoring program doing real-time scanning? I presume Norton would disable Windows Defender on installing, but things don't always work out the way they should. So it is possible that Windows defender is setup with 'automatic sample submission' enabled.

You could download ProcessMonitor from Microsoft/SysInternals which will show you all the file activity going on and hence will show if some program is scanning the dlls. You will need to add some filters (like Path contains LINQPad8 and Path does not include Sessions) otherwise you will be overloaded with information. (Note, you should expect your script to run slower when ProcessMonitor is active).

Don't know if Norton has the option, but if it has, you would be better to exclude the Linqpad process rather than by selecting folders. In this particular case I think the files are created in a randomly created subfolder of %localappdata%\temp\LINQPad8\

Just as a comparison, your computer is a lot newer and more powerful than mine and my average is less than 1 ms

It was Norton. I am not seeing an option in Norton to exclude processes for antivirus. Only by files and folders. It's available for the Firewall feature by allowing or blocking a process from accessing the Internet.