Writing custom visualizer for Linqpad 6

I want to upgrade my custom visualizer to support LINQPad 6 and have some questions about it. Currently it references LINQPad nuget. Do I need to now reference LINQPad.Runtime instead?

Is there a way to support both LINQPad 5 and 6 from a single nuget package ?

Comments

• edited January 12

Add a reference to the LINQPad.Reference NuGet package - this contains reference assemblies for both versions of LINQPad.

To create a NuGet package that works for both LINQPad 5 and 6, you must instruct VS to include assemblies for both .NET Framework (for LINQPad 5) and .NET Core (for LINQPad 6). Start by creating a multi-targeting project as follows:

<Project Sdk="Microsoft.NET.Sdk.WindowsDesktop">

<PropertyGroup>
            <TargetFrameworks>netcoreapp3.0;net46</TargetFrameworks>
            <UseWpf>true</UseWpf>
            <AssemblyName>YourAssemblyName</AssemblyName>
            <GeneratePackageOnBuild>true</GeneratePackageOnBuild>
        </PropertyGroup>

<PropertyGroup Condition="'$(TargetFramework)' == 'netcoreapp3.0'">
            <DefineConstants>NETCORE</DefineConstants>
        </PropertyGroup>

<ItemGroup>
            <PackageReference Include="LINQPad.Reference" Version="1.*" />
        </ItemGroup>

<ItemGroup Condition="'$(TargetFramework)' == 'net46'">
            <Reference Include="System.Xaml">
                <RequiredTargetFramework>4.0</RequiredTargetFramework>
            </Reference>
            <Reference Include="WindowsBase" />
            <Reference Include="PresentationCore" />
            <Reference Include="PresentationFramework" />
        </ItemGroup>

</Project>

When you build, VS will automatically create a NuGet package whose lib folder contains both net46 and netcoreapp3.0 subfolders (net46 for LINQPad 5 and netcoreapp3.0 for LINQPad 6).

If you need to do anything differently for LINQPad 5 vs 6, use the conditional compilation symbol defined in the project file above (NETCORE).

• Does the above approach works if I want to use WinForms instead of Wpf?

• edited January 14

Yes: add

<UseWindowsForms>true</UseWindowsForms> 

to your project file and add net46 references to System.Drawing and System.Windows.Forms.

• What is object that is returned by Util.CurrentDataContext ? Previously it was DataContextBase but that type is missing from the .net core version of the LINQPad.Reference library.

• edited January 14

In LINQPad 6, the built-in data context drivers have been completely decoupled from the runtime, so LINQPad.Runtime now has no concept of DataContextBase (which was based on LINQ-to-SQL's DataContext class).

A benefit of this decoupling is that Util.CurrentDataContext now works for queries that use a different driver. For example if your query uses the built-in Entity Framework Core driver, Util.CurrentDataContext will return a DbContext object (whereas in LINQPad 5, it would return null). The same applies for third-party drivers.

If you want to access properties of Util.CurrentDataContext, the safest option is to use dynamic binding or reflection.

• I see. How does Linq to SQL work in Linqpad 6 ? As I saw it's not supported by .net core

• That's right - they removed LINQ-to-SQL for .NET Core. LINQPad uses a forked version:
    https://github.com/albahari/LinqToSQL2

• I guess there is no NuGet package for it right ?

• There's no NuGet package. Is there a scenario that you can't easily solve with dynamic binding?

• The current version of my visualizer depends on System.Data.Linq so I would need to make some changes to make it work again with dynamic binding

• Let me know if you run into any blocking issues with dynamic binding (such as having to implement an interface).