Home

Does toggling license activation on/off on single machine count towards annual transfer limit?

Is it possible to temporarily de-activate and then re-activate the license on a single machine (not transferring it to another machine), without counting towards the 6 transfers per year limit? That is, does a "transfer" to the same machine still count as a transfer?

"This license is valid for a SINGLE USER and you can install it on up to 3 machines at once (plus 3 virtual machines). If you run out, you can make up to 6 transfers per year between machines..."

Suppose I deactivate a license on one machine, don't make any transfer to another machine, and then reactivate the license for the original machine, maybe only five minutes later. Does that still count as a transfer towards the 6 transfer annual limit?

The scenario I have in mind:

I want to share interesting LINQPad scripts I've created with another LINQPad user, who unfortunately is not enlightened enough to have purchased a license :disappointed: Before sharing, I would like to double-check that the quality of the user experience for my script is not depending in some non-obvious way on my premium functionality. Another potential scenario is wanting to demonstrate to someone at my desk the advantages of the premium edition, and to be able to quickly toggle back and forth between "premium mode" and "basic mode".

A related question, is the annual limit based on the calendar year, or from the date the license was purchased?

Thanks!

Comments

• No, this doesn't count towards the transfer limit - in fact, you can transfer between a pool of 6 machines indefinitely.

To answer your second question, it looks at the last 365 days.

• If you do frequent testing, the activated and non-activated versions can be used side by side.

• Activate LINQPad "just for me" (current user) instead of everyone
    • Create a new user account e.g. LPUser
    • Open LINQPad with shift right click > Run as different user > .\LPUser

You may have to store your scripts in a common location instead of your documents to be able to reach them from both accounts.