Home
Options

LINQPad 7, confused about licensing: is my license inadequate to try the AI assistant?

Hi, I'm utterly confused about license tiers. I have LINQPad 7 with a "single-user license." When I try to enable the AI Assistant (Preferences/AI Assistant, or hitting Ctrl+P), just to check what it is, I get a configuration dialog box with all fields disabled (checkbox to enable the Assistant is grayed out, the field to enter the API key is not accepting input; everything is disabled except OpenGPT and Azure selection radio buttons). The top of the box shows "LINQPad AI [...] requires a Premium Edition license." The Upgrade link under the message opens the page at https://www.linqpad.net/Purchase.aspx, which lists only one type of paid license, namely Premium Edition. I thought that was the tier I had, but I am not 100% sure, I purchased the license a year ago, give or take. The checkboxes for available features more or less check out: autocompletion and debugger work for me just fine.

What type of additional license do I need? Is it possible to try the AI feature for a couple days without upgrading my license? And what non-Premium type of license, "single-user," do I have? Has it been discontinued? The About box shows "Licensed to XXXXX (single-user license)." The same text is shown in the upper right corner of the main window. I have activated it on my desktop and notebook only; I believe that was permitted when I purchased it.

Thanks for your help! I'm absolutely discombobulated by this licensing stuff!

Information from the About window:
LINQPad 7 (Developer Edition) v 7.7.16 (X64)

Host runtime version: 6.0.18
Default query runtime version: 7.0.7
Default query reference assembly version: 7.0.7
Roslyn Version: 4.5.0-6.23109.5
FSharp.Compiler.Service version: 43.7.200.0
NuGet client version: 6.1.0.106
Results rendering engine: Edge Chromium Engine 114.0.1823.67 (WebView2)

Comments

• Options

There used to be three licensing options, Pro, Developer and Premium. The Pro and Developer editions have been discontinued, so now there's now just the Premium edition. You can upgrade from Developer to Premium at https://www.linqpad.net/CustomUpgrade.aspx. Note that this will also upgrade your license for the upcoming LINQPad 8 which will be released in November, extending your free updates until November 2025.

If you have specific requests related to your license, please contact customer support.

• Options

Thanks for your reply Joe! So, does this means I cannot currently even try the AI assistant without upgrading? I truly, totally, absolutely have no idea what it is, for what purpose it's used etc. But they're popping up everywhere, so I wanted to get my hands wet. My default option has always been, like, if you want to try it, try it in LINQPad. :smile: Awesome thing, really.
    If there is no trial, is there an article I can read about it? I couldn't find it anywhere on linqpad.net.
    Second question, is v8 already in beta, or not yet?
    Thank you!

• Options

There's info about this feature, with screenshot, in the release notes:
    https://www.linqpad.net/LINQPad7.aspx

There's also a YouTube video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fplJvWRIhA

V8 is likely to be in beta in a couple of months or so.

• Options
    kkmkkm
    edited July 2023

@JoeAlbahari said:
    V8 is likely to be in beta in a couple of months or so.

Awesome, thanks! Can't wait! I'll carve out some time to play with the AI thing then.

The video is amusing. :smiley: Looks like Dan sees the AI feature for the second time ever. Opens the same menu that I see—selecting from it opens the disabled config dialog—and reads aloud a few items from it in a random order... I wonder if it's good at anything beyond writing FizzBuzz, like catching ±1 iteration bugs in code by eyeballing, or refactoring a big chunk of solid code with ref stackalloc arrays, something along those lines. If I were him, I'd rather ask the thing to write an efficient 4th order Runge-Kutta routine. In F#. :blush: I wouldn't be able to resist. My first language was FORTRAN 77...