Home

How do I connect LinqPad to an EF Core model when the DbContext has extra constructor parameters?

I have an EF Core model, and have been using that successfully from LinqPad for a while. The context class is fairly standard, with an additional constructor and configuring method added to ease usage with LinqPad...

public AppDbContext(DbContextOptions<AppDbContext> options) : base(options) {
  }

protected override void OnConfiguring(DbContextOptionsBuilder optionsBuilder) {
    if (AppDomain.CurrentDomain.FriendlyName.StartsWith("LINQPad")) {
      optionsBuilder.UseLazyLoadingProxies();
    }
  }

protected AppDbContext(DbContextOptions options) : base(options) {
  }

I now have the need to add an additional parameter to the first constructor...

public AppDbContext(DbContextOptions<AppDbContext> options, string tenantId) : base(options) {
  }

However, this gives an exception when I try to query from LinqPad, as LinqPad is (presumably) expecting a constructor with only the options parameter, and so doesn't know what to supply for the string.

I can get around that by keeping the original constructor as well...

public AppDbContext(DbContextOptions<AppDbContext> options) : base(options) {
  }

public AppDbContext(DbContextOptions<AppDbContext> options, string tenantId) : base(options) {
  }

The problem is that if I do this, then I can't run the code, as I get a runtime exception of...

InvalidOperationException: Multiple constructors accepting all given argument types have been found in type 'MyProject.AppDbContext'. There should only be one applicable constructor.

Anyone any idea what I can do to enable me to be able to use the EF Core model from LinqPad without it preventing me from running my code?

Thanks

Comments