Home

Unable to connect using my EF6 Oracle Devart-based Assembly - Assembly version hell

I need to use my dbContext DLL that was built using EF6 and DevArt dotConnect, within LinqPad.

The version of DevArt DotConnect for Oracle I'm using is 8.4.283.0 (and therefore the Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity assembly is version 8.4.283.6 -- for EF6).

I'm wondering if anything in LinqPad is looking at 8.4.201.0, based upon the FusLogVw dump below. I have tried editing machine.config and putting in a redirect as well as editing linqpad.exe.config and putting in a redirect, as follows:

I still get the below message no matter where I copy the 283.6 version of that assembly. I'm missing something. Help?

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity, Version=8.4.283.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Program Files/LinqPad/Test/
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
LOG: Dynamic Base = NULL
LOG: Cache Base = NULL
LOG: AppName = NULL
Calling assembly : EntityFramework, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089.
===
LOG: This bind starts in LoadFrom load context.
WRN: Native image will not be probed in LoadFrom context. Native image will only be probed in default load context, like with Assembly.Load().
LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Users\rmagruder\Source\Repos\IrukaFeed\IrukaFileBuilderTests\linqpad.config
LOG: Using host configuration file:
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.
LOG: Publisher policy file is found at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\policy.8.4.Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity\8.4.201.0__09af7300eec23701\policy.8.4.Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.config.
LOG: Publisher policy file redirect is found: 8.4.283.6 redirected to 8.4.283.6.
LOG: Post-policy reference: Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity, Version=8.4.283.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701
LOG: GAC Lookup was unsuccessful.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/LinqPad/Test/Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.DLL.
LOG: Assembly download was successful. Attempting setup of file: C:\Program Files\LinqPad\Test\Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.dll
LOG: Entering run-from-source setup phase.
LOG: Assembly Name is: Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity, Version=8.4.201.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701
WRN: Comparing the assembly name resulted in the mismatch: Build Number
ERR: The assembly reference did not match the assembly definition found.
ERR: Run-from-source setup phase failed with hr = 0x80131040.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/LinqPad/Test/Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity/Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/LinqPad/Test/Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/LinqPad/Test/Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity/Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/rmagruder/Source/Repos/3DEntities/src/3DEntities/bin/Debug/Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.DLL.
LOG: Assembly download was successful. Attempting setup of file: C:\Users\rmagruder\Source\Repos\3DEntities\src\3DEntities\bin\Debug\Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.dll
LOG: Entering run-from-source setup phase.
LOG: Assembly Name is: Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity, Version=8.4.201.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701
WRN: Comparing the assembly name resulted in the mismatch: Build Number
ERR: The assembly reference did not match the assembly definition found.
ERR: Run-from-source setup phase failed with hr = 0x80131040.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/rmagruder/Source/Repos/3DEntities/src/3DEntities/bin/Debug/Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity/Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/rmagruder/Source/Repos/3DEntities/src/3DEntities/bin/Debug/Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/rmagruder/Source/Repos/3DEntities/src/3DEntities/bin/Debug/Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity/Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.EXE.
LOG: All probing URLs attempted and failed.

Comments

•    <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
             <dependentAssembly>
                <assemblyIdentity name="Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity" publicKeyToken="09af7300eec23701" culture="neutral"/>
                <bindingRedirect oldVersion="5.0.0.0-8.4.201.0" newVersion="8.4.283.0"/>
             </dependentAssembly>
             <dependentAssembly>
                <assemblyIdentity name="Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity" publicKeyToken="09af7300eec23701" culture="neutral"/>
                <bindingRedirect oldVersion="8.4.201.6" newVersion="8.4.283.6"/>
             </dependentAssembly>

</assemblyBinding>
  • Agh, fixed it. Apparently I *am* running 8.4.201.x -- I fixed up all the redirects (removed them, mainly) and copied Devart.data.oracle.entity.dll to my linqpad directory and now it works.

Thanks!