Home
Options

Opening dbs with large designs

Is there a way to either speed up the populating process or remove certain design elements? We have a db that has 50K+ views (don't ask, we inherited it) and I can rarely get LinqPad to open the db. When I click to expand the database, it seems to hang on 'Populating'. On a few occasions, the list would populate and I could work.

If there is currently not a way, could a new option be added to the connection dialog that would 'Exclude views'?

I've gotten so use to using LinqPad that I really do not like having to go back to Sql Studio.

Comments

• Options
    You can create a typed data context in Visual Studio and then consume that in Visual Studio. You can use either LINQ to SQL or Entity Framework.

After creating your data context in VS, compile the assembly, then click 'Add Connection' in LINQPad and choose one of the options in the bottom listbox.
  • Options
    Hello Joe, I've read the Data Context Extensibility document (need to read again), but I am not sure if I need a subclass the Dynamic or Static class. Based on your suggestion, what I would want is something similar to the existing (Default) Linq to Sql context (with the options to include views). Is that what you meant? Or am I needing to create a Dynamic context that will only list tables and hook it up to the Linq to Sql option that uses a custom typed data context?