Home
Options

navigation properties not available in 'additional database' when it's from a linked server?

edited June 2015
If I use create a new connection in linqpad to a single sql server and specify additional database(s) that are on the same server, both the 'main' database and the 'additional' one(s) include navigation properties fine.

Today I was using a database on a different server which has a linked server defined, and when I added an additional database in the linqpad connection, the 'linked' database showed up fine, but none of the navigation properties were present. I noticed this appears to be isolated to only when I'm adding the database via linked server - if I add it as an additional 'same server' database then it works fine.

IOW:
- connection to Server A, database2, add additional 'same server' database of database1, navigation properties show up fine in this.database1.* tables
- connection to Server B, anydatabase, add additional 'linked server' database of database1 on Server A, navigation properties are missing in this.database1.* tables

Is this a bug in LINQPad or some limitation of SQL Server's linked server support?

versions:
- LINQPad is v4.55.03 64-bit (AnyCPU)
- 'local' SQL Server instance (one connected to) is 11.0.3000 (SQL Server 2012 SP1)
- 'remote' SQL Server instance (one referenced via linked server) is 10.50.1617 (SQL Server 2008 R2)

Comments