Home
Options

Linqpad can't add row to table with rowguid default value

I have a table with replication enabled. This table added a rowguid column for replication purposes with a default value of (newsequentialid()).

When I use grid mode in linqpad to try to add a new row to this table, it doesn't use the default value and instead inserts a guid of 0000... when I'd prefer to submit the row with no value for rowguid, and allow it to be populated by executing the default value.

Is there a way to use the default value?

-Karl

Comments

• Options
    I have the same problem, any solutions?
  • Options
    I'm also struggling with the same issue. Linqpad is an awesome tool, but as soon as we enable replication on our databases we can't insert or update data via Linqpad. I would think this is a very common scenario/issue. Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, this is a limitation of LINQ to SQL. There's no good workaround, other than perhaps recompiling the source code for LINQ to SQL, and adding this as a new feature. (And it would be a breaking change, so the feature would have to be switchable via an option on the connection dialog.)

Entity Framework 6 has the same problem, FWIW. However, this has been fixed in EF Core. When EF Core matures, I'll add an automatic context-buildling driver to LINQPad for EF Core, so you'll be able to choose between LINQ to SQL or EF Core when automatically building a context. (Right now, it wouldn't be so useful, because EF Core still lacks some essential features.)
  • Options
    I know I've gotten around this issue with EF with other databases by setting the column's 'Store Generated Pattern' to 'Identity' in the .edmx file. I thought there was something similar for LINQ to SQL in the .dbml, but I can't remember for sure. It would be nice to be able to set that flag without having to generate an assembly and reference it.
  • Options
    There is a similar option in LINQ to SQL: flagging the column as IsDbGenerated allows inserts that preserve the default value. However, it also prevents that column from being updated later.