Options

LINQPad Debugger - Early Input Request!

2»

Comments

• Options
    This is now fixed in 4.53.03.
  • Options
    Hi,

I just thought of a feature which would be huge (although probably not a simple implementation).

Allow to step into code from external assemblies.

You could have a FileOpen dialog which would prompt the user to give the source file where the code is located.
  • Options
    Being able to step into external code would indeed be awesome. We're using Linqpad a lot in production for support purposes and being able to debug scripts indepth would be very helpful.

We'll upgrade all our licenses to get the debugger in any case :)
  • Options
    Just tried the debugger for the first time today.

I like the idea of keeping this a "spartan" debugger. Low on bells & whistles, yet high on performance. This debugger basically removes to the need to sprinkle "dump()"'s all over the place now that there's a watch window.

You can debug your plugins code if you are debugging its main() method. So, use that to work out all this bugs in plugins code first.

Great job on the debugger Joe. Must've been a great deal of work.
  • Options
    From a quick play it seems to work really well.

My only minor issue is that if I am using the black theme in LinqPad (i.e. I've set editor background to black) then it's virtually impossible to read the line that has the breakpoint. It has yellowy/white text on a light yellow background.

Other than that, seems spot on so far.
  • Options
    another feature request: ability to change content of variables in watch window would be awesome!
  • Options
    The issue with dark themes has now been fixed in v4.35.05.
  • Options
    That's great - thanks, Joe.
  • Options
    Dear Joe,

In my working scenario,i often have to loop through thousands of records to identify data specific issues(Single field for a specific record that has a certain value causing an unexpected outcome). Conditional breakpoint could therefore be very handy addition in this case.

But, already now, the debugging feature available has boosted my productivity by a great deal.

All the best
    Kadji
  • Options
    Kadji, would code like the following handle your scenario:
    if(someCondition)
       Util.Break();
  • Options
    Sorax, that will obviously work. I was however not aware of the util.break() option. I was just inspired by VS conditional debug functionality. Good to know there is an easy way around. many thanks.