Home
Options

Are file-based NuGet package sources supported?

I use a file-based NuGet package source for testing. It is simply a mapped drive, N:\ . Works OK from Visual Studio. But when I configured it as a source in LINQPad, it does not show me any packages. Are file-based package sources supported?

The actual proper name is "Local feed", see https://docs.nuget.org/create/hosting-your-own-nuget-feeds .

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Yes, file-based package sources are supported in LINQPad.

Have you tried creating a folder and copying in some .nupkg files that you know to work?
  • Options
    I do not quite understand what you ask me to do. I have stated that I use the same local feed from Visual Studio and that it works, therefore I know that my packages (and the feed) are OK. Are you suggesting to try a local drive instead, and a folder that is not a root?
  • Options
    Yes, try a variety of things and see if makes a difference.
  • Options
    After lots of playing, I probably figured out the reason. LINQPad does not expect the local feed in the current format, described on https://docs.nuget.org/create/hosting-your-own-nuget-feeds under "Creating Local Feeds v3.3+", which is what I have. This is a hierarchical format that allows versioned packages. LINQPad only supports a simple directory with .nupkg files in it.
  • Options
    I just wonder whether you consider or plan supporting this current NuGet local feed format ?
  • Options
    Are you using a recent version of LINQPad?

The new local file feed format should be recognized from LINQPad 5.06 on, which uses the 3.4 NuGet client.

I've just tested it with a file structure as follows:

\\yourserver\nuget\
    	yourpackage\
    		0.0.1-beta\
    			yourpackage.0.0.1-beta.nupkg
    			yourpackage.nuspec
    			yourpackage.0.0.1-beta.nupkg.sha512
    Is this exactly what you have? (Note that it won't work without the .nuspec or .sha512 files.)
  • Options
    Yes, it is exactly what I have. At the time of my test, LINQPad 5 was not RTM. I used LINQPad 4. At this moment LINQPad 5 is RTM, but it says it targets .NET 4.6. I need to keep my development to .NET 4.5.2 maximum at the moment, and it is not clear to me whether I can use LINQPad 5 at all, and if so, whether the queries I create would be consumable by folks who have LINQPad 4, and .NET 4.5.2. Even if that's not the case now, I am certain that the time will come later when the full switch to LINQPad 5 will be possible, and I appreciate the support for the new NuGet structure is there!