Home

Activate LINQPad in (really) silent mode

At the moment, I'm activating LINQPad on my machine as follows:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\LINQPad5\LINQPad.exe" -activate=[key]

However, this method shows a pop-up screen. Is there any way to get rid of this pop-up screen?
If not, I'd love to see this in a feature release. :)

Comments

• There's no way to do this right now - it would require activation support via LPRun.

• And is there any way to schedule this in such a way that it only executes (activates) when the product hasn't been activated yet?

The reason for my question is that I've installed LINQPad in own VM "gold image" (template). I can activate it in there, but everytime when I create a linked clone, I need to reactivate LINQPad. So I thought it would be handy to create a scheduled task for this, that automatically runs when Windows is being start up.

But of course, a one-time activation is enough. So is there a way to prevent it to be run if it has already been activated?

• If activation is successful, LINQPad will create the following file:

%localappdata%\linqpad\license.xml

Note that the file doesn't actually contain the license - it's just an indication that activation was successful. You can use its presence to determine whether LINQPad has been activated.

• @JoeAlbahari said:
    If activation is successful, LINQPad will create the following file:

%localappdata%\linqpad\license.xml

Note that the file doesn't actually contain the license - it's just an indication that activation was successful. You can use its presence to determine whether LINQPad has been activated.

Hmm, this doesn't really seem to work in my case. Since I had LINQPad already activated in my "gold image" (base template VM). However, after creating a linked clone (on a different machine), LINQPad isn't activated anymore, although the license.xml is still there.

So, my question in the first place is why LINQPad looses its activation... Maybe because of the different UUID, or because I created a linked clone. But in the second place, I'm wondering how I can solve this, either by keeping it activated (even when moving the VM to a different host and/or creating a linked clone), or either by having a silent auto-activation script, without annoying pop-ups. Is either one of them possible?