Home
Options

.Net 8.0.0 Installed and working but shown as Not Installed in .NET dropdown

.Net 8 was installed via Visual Studio 2022 and is working in Queries but is shown in the .NET dropdown as (not installed).
Is there a way to refresh the dropdown? If 8.0 is selected the query complies and executes and is also shown as installed in Auto.
Running "Download .NET.exe" shows .Net 8.0.0 installed and up to date.
Installing the .Net 8 SDK separate to VS 2022 does not change the dropdown.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options

Apologies. Running LINQPad 8.0.13/14 (x64).

• Options

Was testing something in a Windows Sandbox and noticed this as well.

It is correctly shown as installed on my main install and it seemed to be the exact same version of Dotnet 8 as well. So I went hunting to see if I could figure it out for myself and found this.

Looks like a cut-and-paste error, and so it only shows DotNet Version 8 as installed if Dotnet Version 6 is also installed (which it is on my main install)

• Options

Thanks! I'll get a fix out right away.

• Options

Thank you @sgmoore for the detective work and thank you @JoeAlbahari for the quick fix.
    @JoeAlbahari, I hope all is ok for you with the bushfires in WA.

• Options

Thanks - we are outside the bushfire area. The state has a very pleasant climate, similar to California, but with some of the same risks.

• Options
    edited February 9

Has this been fixed? I have LINQPad version 8.1.6 installed as well as the .NET 8 SDK. After uninstalling and reinstalling LINQPad, it allows me to use .NET 8, but after a reboot it again says not available. Rider has no issue using the SDK.

$ dotnet --list-sdks

6.0.319 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk]
    7.0.403 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk]
    8.0.101 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk]

EDIT: I just realized this might not be the same issue as selecting .NET 8 does not result in a usable state for me.

• Options

Can you please launch LINQPad with the -log switch and report what's in %localappdata%\LINQPad\Logs.LINQPad8\startup.log. Also, if the startup(procserver).txt file is present, report what's in that.

• Options

I had the same problem as the previous poster also using the latest version, v8.1.6. After playing around a bit, I believe the problem is that if you are running an x64 system and use the x64 link to open LinqPad, it correctly detects the 8.0 framework. However, if you run the x86 version of LinqPad, you get the !8.0 error message.

• Options

Can you please launch LINQPad X86 with the -log switch and report what's in %localappdata%\LINQPad\Logs.LINQPad8\startup.log

• Options
    edited February 26

Sorry, didn't realize this got a response. Thank you @grante, I didn't even realize there were two different x86 and x64 shortcuts, using the x64 shortcut did in fact solve my issue. Awesome.

@JoeAlbahari, here is startup.txt (from the x86 shortcut):

2024-02-26 13:25:18 Successfully started process
    Target DLL: C:\Program Files\LINQPad8\LINQPad.GUI.dll
    File 'C:\Program Files\LINQPad8\LINQPad.Runtime.dll' is present and readable
    File 'C:\Program Files\LINQPad8\LINQPad.GUI.dll' is present and readable
    ProbeSupportForDotNetVersion: 8.0.1.0
    dotnet root detected via registry: C:\Program Files (x86)\dotnet\
    Probing C:\Program Files (x86)\dotnet\host\fxr
    Probing C:\Program Files (x86)\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.app
    Probing C:\Program Files (x86)\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App
    Using dotnet root: C:\Program Files (x86)\dotnet\
    AllowPrerelease=true
    Searching C:\Program Files (x86)\dotnet\host\fxr...
      - found 7.0.13
    Searching C:\Program Files (x86)\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.app...
      - found 6.0.24
      - found 7.0.13
    Searching C:\Program Files (x86)\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App...
      - found 6.0.24
      - found 7.0.13
    Fxr path: C:\Program Files (x86)\dotnet\host\fxr
    Best desktop version: 7.0.13