Home
Options

LINQPad 6 RC1 on .NET Core RC1

Hey, I just saw that there is a release candidate available. So I downloaded the setup from the website and installed it. However, LINQPad6 doesn’t run.

I thought that I might have to update the .NET Core runtime to make sure that it works correctly, so I upgraded from preview9 to RC1 but it still doesn’t work.

When I run the „Download .NET Core 3“ application, then it tells me that I have 3.0.0-rc1-19456-20 installed (which is correct). When I then click on “Launch LINQPad”, I get the following error:

Error that LINQPad cannot find the Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App 3.0.0 framework

Apparently, LINQPad looks for a release version of 3.0.0 and fails.

I still had a LINQPad 6 beta download around, so I tried to run that and it worked just fine. It also updated automatically to v6.0.31:

LINQPad beta version from the about dialog

Am I missing something or is RC1 simply not ready for a non-final release of .NET Core 3.0?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2019
    The LINQPad RC depends on netcore3 RC-2, which is actually labelled as a release version "3.0.0" (no suffix). For some reason, RC-2 is not showing on the MS download page, but if you use the download tool provided, it will install correctly.
  • Options
    Oh, that’s good to know, and it does work with that version.

I’ve checked what the downloader actually downloads and the URL is https://dotnetcli.blob.core.windows.net/dotnet/Sdk/release/3.0.1xx/dotnet-sdk-latest-win-x64.exe. That is actually the nightly version of the 3.0.1xx release branch, as shown on dotnet/core-sdk.

So apparently, RC1 currently depends on the nightly release build and at least the downloader advertises that nighly build. I’m not sure if that’s a good idea for the future. It will certainly be safe for now since the final release is right around the corner but after the release, this might make people install unstable previews.

So I would suggest to change this to an actual release channel in the future. You can probably use this to find out the latest release version and its download URL: https://github.com/dotnet/core/blob/master/release-notes/3.0/releases.json
  • Options
    The RTM build will use the official MSIX installer, when released.
  • Options
    Alright then – Thanks :)