Home

Issue with rights on AppData/local

Is there a way to move the dll's in the linqpqd appdata/local folder into another one where the user has rights. I've done a "portable" installation (xcopy), but I am unable to connect to databases.

Specific error is: unable to load DLL 'c:\users..\AppData\Local|Linqpad\6.5.5\l2s\x64\sni.dll' Access Denied

Comments

• LINQPad requires access to the local appdata folder to work properly. The temp directory is also normally located under the local appdata folder, and without access to that, LINQPad will definitely fail.

• Thanks for getting back to me - this has only seemed to be an issue with V6, and my instance was actually working the other day. I'm thinking a Policy was pushed that somehow disabled this, because it just stopped working.

There is no way to configure it to look in another folder for these bits?

Thanks again,

Doug

• JA - Here is some more light on the subject - looks like this not just my problem

https://github.com/dotnet/SqlClient/issues/385

• I don't think this is the same issue. I believe that in your case, there's a problem reading/writing AppData\Local|Linqpad\6.5.5\

You could try deleting that folder (LINQPad will automatically recreate it). If you don't have full rights to the local appdata folder, LINQPad can't run. It needs somewhere to write temporary and semi-temporary data.

I've searched the logs, and this error report appears only once, so it's not worth making this configurable.

• JA - Thanks for the further clarification.

The problem with the LinqToSQL connection still persists, bu I did want to note that V5.4 Linqpad DOES works correctly. I changed my NuGet configuration, and am now able to connect via EF context with V6, but the LinqToSql connection still throws the appdata error.

How does V5.4 reconcile that dll ?

Thanks much,

Doug